Monday, November 2, 2020

2 Life Analogies- When You Feel Stuck/Trapped

Image by Free-Photos from Pixabay 
I was listening to the poet Mark Nepo in an interview with Oprah. He gave two analogies about what we go through in life that I thought were great.

I really wanted to share them. 

ANALOGY 1-- Surrendering and Accepting the Flow of Life

"Surrendering is like a fish finding the current and going with it," and, "acceptance is when you are finding that flow and you run into... [trouble such as] get caught in the bank is accepting that and the larger situation."

He notes that this doesn't mean that we stop evolving. 

I think this has a lot to do with trusting yourself and trusting that the universe (or God) will present the life experiences we need in order to grow. 

It's easy to "surrender" to a nice and steady current, but when something uncomfortable presents itself that has us "stuck" then it's difficult to accept that situation. In turn it has us going against the current in an effort to get out of there. When really we should stop, figure out where we are (acknowledge it) and accept it in order to get on with a solution while having a clear mind. From this place is where we learn the lessons that the universe, or life, as presented to us.

That's where I feel I am. Part of the reason is that I am holding on to a dream, and I've also realized that I have been unconsciously holding on to an identity. You come to a life stage where it is time to let go, and that is something very difficult to do. Especially when you feel it is who you are, when you feel that without it you are nothing and you have nothing because it's all you've ever had. That's scary. 

ANALOGY 2-- Our Attachments

"We are so attached to the identity, relationships, and dreams that have brought us this far. They're dear, but like a cocoon, when a butterfly emerges the cocoon has served its purpose. It doesn't mean its false, it just means it served its purpose. Our dreams, our identities, our ambitions, our relationships they often are cocoons that lead us to the next."

I am now understanding that in order for the inner conflict I am currently having to cease, I have to accept the fact that dreams and ambitions change, and that's ok. It was what it was at that time because I needed it at THAT time. Accepting that and moving on is going to help me open up to the next stage in life. 

Now the identity. People change, or perhaps not necessarily change but "awaken." I realize that what I have been unconsciously holding on to is not healthy. The mind is a bit of a tricky thing. I've heard someone say that the mind is a tool to use and not for it to use us. I feel like a broken record saying this but I must say it: You are not your mind, you can't believe it most of the time.

My mind could be telling me "I am such a horrible person. I'm uncaring and cold." If I were to tell this to a friend. He would tell me that I'm crazy and let me know why I'm not a terrible person. 

Many of us pay too much attention to our minds. It's not good, especially if it's not being positive or useful. 

Just because our mind can think it, doesn't mean it's true. Our mind doesn't shoot out facts. 

Have you ever felt stuck in life? If so, how did you come out of it?

2 comments:

  1. I've also had to let go of my self image some years ago in order to become something else - it's scary but rewarding

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe not crazy just mistaken . Smile

    ReplyDelete