Monday, November 16, 2020

Looking for "home"

"Your body is your first home. Breathing in, I arrive in my body. Breathing out, I am home."

-Thich Nhat Hanh

I've been thinking about what "Home" is. Which was one of the day's word prompt last week for the gratitude challenge. 

In the literal sense: I am grateful for having a place to go "home" to. A place to kick my shoes off. A place to tidy up if I choose to or not.

"Home is where the heart is" is the common phrase used. It is your comfort zone, where you can laugh or cry. It is where you can be you. It is built on love and affection. Where you are completely comfortable to be yourself, without judgement. 

How do you find your true home?

You already found it. By being yourself.

Then, how do we find out who we really are? I guess we'd have to go "home."

I have been mentally and emotionally struggling so much lately, and I am exhausted. Could this mean I am close to a breakthrough? I don't know. Perhaps I just need to let a lot of things go, let them be and they will settle down somewhere. Perhaps I am tired of holding back. 

I know that reading spiritual books make me feel a little better, as they help me work on myself a bit. I am just about to start Thich Nhat Hanh's At Home in the World, Stories and Essential Teachings from a Monk's Life. I am looking forward to that. 

I'll leave today's entry with a few quotes about home (from Thich Nhat Hanh):

"Every one of us is trying to find our true home. Some of us are still searching. Out true home is inside, but it's also in our loved ones around us. When you're in a loving relationship, you and the other person can be a true home for each other."

----------

"Our true home is in the here and the now. The past is already gone and the future is not yet here. 'I have arrived, I am home, in the here, in the now.' This is our practice."

----------

"To meditate means to go home to yourself. Then you know how to take care of the things that are happening inside you, and you know how to take care of the things that happen around you."

Thank you for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment