Friday, November 20, 2020

Let's Cut Our Unmindful and Unappreciative Way

Have you ever felt like you are not here? 

Lately I've been finding myself multi-tasking in a very unmindful and unappreciative way. As I talk to someone on the phone, listen to a podcast or even when I'm food prepping or cooking, I have been scrolling through Instagram or watching something on YouTube.

It's like I'm not fully there. I don't like it it because I'm not even enjoying the activity. I'm enjoying neither of the activities! Even worse, I am not giving my attention to the person on the phone, who takes time to make the phone call or seems to look forward to talking to me. 

We can be More Mindful and Appreciative

Image by naobim from Pixabay 
We can enjoy an activity by being in the moment, and focusing solely on that activity. No hurrying up to finish, no thinking about what to do next. 

Listen to your podcast with full attention and appreciate the fact that they've created something for you to learn from. They want to spread and share their knowledge.

Listen to your friend with care and appreciate the fact that he wants to have a conversation with you because he values your thoughts and opinions. He wants to spend some of his time with you, and that really needs to be appreciated!

Prep your food with mindfulness, focusing on what you're cutting, on how you're cutting, on how the knife feels when you press down to split the carrot. Appreciate the fact that these veggies will nourish you, with the needed vitamins and fiber.

Cook your food with mindfulness, focusing on how much heat you use for the pot, on what you put in first, and the aroma from the steam that rises up your nostrils every time you add an ingredient. When you finally savor it, appreciate the fact that this food is not only filling you up, but is flavorful.

Focusing on the task/activity, really is more enjoyable. But if we are not use it it is difficult at first, our mind keeps pulling us away. Every time our mind wanders away, we must bring it back to THIS moment.

I've been lagging in my mindful practices and have regrettably fallen in my morning meditations. I have only been doing it sporadically. I try not to scold or tear myself apart for it, but it is difficult as I am very critical of myself. I get angry and disappointed in myself for not following through, and beat myself up about it. 

Do you ever find yourself multi-tasking in an unmindful and unappreciative way?

No comments:

Post a Comment