Monday, August 10, 2020

A Summer Nature Walk

In Los Angeles it hardly rains, so mostly everything is dry with very little plants. Especially in the summer time. Going for a nature walk is not bad though, I enjoy always the peacefulness of a nature walk and how connected it makes me feel to the earth.

Imagine walking on a dirt path, you look to your right and your left and see the tree tops on one side and large rocks on the other. Walk along the sides of the large rock, the mountain wall and you will see a small lizard scurrying between the patches of green, or stop if it feels your presence. You might have to look closely as it camouflages itself to the dirt and rocks. It's quiet if it's early morning and no people close by. You will hear bird chirping here and there. Or see a coyote or two coming down the little mountain. 

Tulpehocken Creek Trail in Reading, PA
Now, let's go to Reading in Pennsylvania where they have absolutely no lack of rain, they always have their summer rain. I recently came back from a trip there and I am always amazed at all the green, even in Philadelphia when the plane is descending, you can look out the window and see plenty of green, and I mean bright green. 

Imagine walking on a small path and see around you nothing but bright green leaves from small trees, tall trees, wide trees, trees with vines wrapped around its trunk, and trees connected to other trees. You can tell which way is north just by looking at the green and maybe yellow moss growing on the north side of the trees. There is hardly anyone visible. You stand still, and listen to the sounds of the water running in the creek nearby, the sound of the birds, and the cicadas mating calls. 

People in Reading don't take summer for granted. I will be honest and say that I am not a big fan of summer, and I believe that is because it's always warm here. It is always the same, there are not many color changes of leaves, and trees hardly loose any. Even in winter, it only cools slightly and it is bearable. 

In the East, winter is really winter with snow and often times it is unbearable to be out too long. The trees are bare so when it starts warming up for spring, you're delighted to see the little sprouts of flowers and green popping out. They're not the exact same leaves and flowers that browned and fell off the tree, but if you think about it: a part of those are still there, as they come from the same tree. It is the same tree, but at the same time a little different.

It's the start of something new. Very metaphorical. 

Perhaps we shouldn't be so afraid of change and transformation. Sometimes we have to bear and endure some suffering in order to let go of whatever needs to be shed and sprout new beauties. We will be the same person, but transformed. 

What's your favorite season?

3 comments:

  1. My favorite season is early fall when it's crisp and cool but not too cold .

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grew up on the east coast and then lived in the desert southwest for a decade, so I understand the contrast you're describing. I realized that I need to live among the trees, where there is water and where I can hear rustling leaves. I'm back in a 4-season climate and although autumn, with its colorful trees and crisp, cool air is my favorite, I enjoy all of the seasons. Here in Minnesota, the summer daylight hours are very long, the lakes beckon, and the land explodes in greenery around mid-May. It always feels amazing to finally shed the outerwear. Winter is usually fairly sunny, and is also beautiful, particularly when there's fresh snow. I love the quiet of a snowy day, the interior focus of the winter as we are drawn more into our homes, our families, our minds. It's a time of reflection, a time to prepare and anticipate the coming spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every time I visit the east, I realize a little more that it is where eventually I want to live. Thank you for that beautiful descriptive comment.

      Delete