Wednesday, September 2, 2020

Living Without Cable or Streaming Services

Growing up my family never had cable television or internet.

Image by Andrés Rodríguez from Pixabay 
Now as an adult I still don’t have cable (or a subscription to Netflix, or Hulu. I do have Amazon Prime however but only because it came free with my phone plan. I rarely watch anything on there), and I don’t have home internet either. Is anybody shocked?

A couple of years ago I was asked if I watched a really popular show (I can’t remember the name). I told the lady that I didn’t have cable or Netflix or anything. 

Her response: “How do you live?” 

How do I live without it?

1) Aside from there being regular television, there are DVDs. My son enjoys watching movies, and we own a few of his favorite ones that he enjoys watching over and over. 

2) Whenever we want to watch a movie we don’t own we use the local Red Box or put a hold on a movie from the local library. I don’t mind doing this. Perhaps because I’ve done it for so long it’s just something I do.

3) Home internet? I have cellular data and Hotspot.

4) I also enjoy going to the coffee shop or the library and sometimes I take my laptop and use their WiFi if there is something in particular that I want to do. Of course this was pre-pandemic, as it isn’t allowed to sit inside any place right now. However, my library just recently started offering checkouts of chrome books and Hotspot kits. So, that is great!

5) I'll watch things on YouTube. Though to be honest, it can be a distraction as well. I don't know how many days there have been where I spend hours on it. I go from one video to another cause I can't get enough. Lately I have been okay with this and only search things I know I want to look up. It is a search engine for how-tos, and recipes. 

6) I enjoy a good book!

Why do I choose this?

1) They are a distraction to me. I once lived with someone who had cable television and I can tell you that I hardly got things done. I'd rather do something that needs to be done or something I enjoy spending time doing. That is another reason why I don’t have games on my phone anymore (I was especially addicted to a word game, and I absolutely love playing Sudoku). 

2) I am saving a pretty good amount of money (that I once used to pay off a debt) and I can use it towards paying bills, or to put aside for a small vacation, or save for a rainy day. I like that a lot.

Initially I didn't have anything because I simply couldn't afford it. When my income increased, I didn't like the idea of putting the money into cable and home internet, especially if I don't need it. I have always been okay with this, and at the moment still am. I don’t need home internet, but who knows perhaps I will later on. In the meantime, if I don’t need it then I’m okay without it. 

3 comments:

  1. Good for you! I think that is very wise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
    2. It sounds like you don't need it. Watching Youtube and tv can be very addicting. I like to ride bikes, go to the beach, and garden. You have more time for chores and hobbies now, and you will have more money in the future.

      Delete