Friday, April 9, 2021

Mental and Emotional Exhaustion


I was feeling very unhappy in my current job (before the pandemic shut down everything). The feeling was so overwhelming that I had to call in sick one day simply because I could not bare to be there. When I returned the next day, a co-worker asked me if I was okay because my eyes looked sad. I enjoy some aspects of the work and how rewarding it can feel. So when I was feeling unhappy and like I didn't want to be there anymore I felt... guilty. 

Why don't I want to be there? What is it that's making me feel emotionally and mentally exhausted? I should be glad that I have a job. I should be happy that I am working as someone who can make a difference in someone's life (perhaps). Perhaps I was tired of the long commute, and started to think the pay wasn't worth it? That's my time, driving to and from work is my time. Time that I can't get back. Perhaps I was feeling a little unappreciated. I have been working there for ten years, I was one of the original people that started working there when it just started. Perhaps the responsibility of the job was starting to weight on me. Perhaps... what? Perhaps, I just need a change?

During this time I was starting to read more on mindfulness and being present. It did help me a bit, but there was still something there. Something I couldn't see, only feel. I could feel it there nagging me. Then I decided that was it. I had to get out of there. I couldn't take it anymore and I decided that was going to be my last year there. I thought I was going to put a three month notice (that should give my boss enough time to find someone to replace me), but then a couple of weeks before I was going to give my notice, the pandemic hit, and the place had to close. 

Now what? we worked from home, but I was scared to quit because I wouldn't receive my unemployment. So, I stuck it out. At least I wasn't physically there and I'll work from home, it should be better. Right? No. I got sick a couple of weeks after. I don't believe it was Covid (though I didn't get tested for that). I think I got sick because of how emotionally and mentally stress I was. My body felt tired, it ached to move. I had no desire to do anything, but I still did the work. This lasted for about a week.

Even working from afar I still felt the same as I did working there. The time came to eventually talk to my boss about not returning to work. She was very understanding. I am grateful for that. 

I started to feel better, and that was when I started this blog. I stopped writing for a while because something else has come up (which is a story for another post).

I don't know what the point of writing this was. I guess just to work it out in my head. Thanks for reading if you did. Any comments are always welcomed. 

*Image by prettysleepy1 from Pixabay

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I'm glad that you're blogging again. I tried to read your blog yesterday, but I couldn't find it. I know the feeling that you described. I had to leave some work situations like that when I was younger. Carolyn Myss teaches that a dead end job or relationship is the main cause of illness. You are wise to listen to your body. Follow your heart...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment. It is something I'm working on at the moment. Trying to figure out what to do, but without trying too hard. I know that thinking about it too much won't help either.

      Delete