Friday, December 4, 2020

The Selfish and Selfless Reasons Why I Decided to Stop Eating Meat


Some of us don't think about what we are eating, and simply go through our daily lives without paying any attention. Some of us perhaps pay too much attention. One thing I'm sure about is that all of us start our life not thinking about what we put in our bodies. We take what is given to us by our parents or caregivers. Eventually we learn, not only through reading but listening and paying attention to the way our own body reacts to certain things. It has been almost one year since I stopped eating meat and here are the two main reasons why I do not eat meat.

Reason 1:
For My Health

This isn't really selfish, but thinking of myself and my own health is what drove me to chose to quit eating meat. Research has shown that omitting meat from ones diet decreases your chances of cardiovascular diseases, as well as many other diseases.

After reading numerous articles, listening to doctors podcast (The Exam Room by The Physicians Committee For Responsible Medicine), and watching some documentaries of the benefits of NOT eating meat and damages done by eating meat, I had enough. 

I think choosing to not eat meat is a very personal choice, when you have that choice. 

Many small rural villages in different parts of the world eat mostly plants, and little to no meat, and they thrive. Most of these small villages don't necessarily choose to omit meat, but it is done because they are small, poor towns and eat what is available to them (mostly plants that are either gathered form the wild or they themselves farm). They are not only reaping the benefits of not having meat in their daily lives, but they are reaping benefits from numerous other sources. (Such as being very active as a result from working with the earth or having to walk/run long distances, and not to mention the joyous life they live due to the diet, exercise, and overall lifestyle that includes being outdoors with people and not indoors with electronic devices!)

I do believe that you could eat some meat and live pretty healthy too (but also living a pretty active and healthy lifestyle). For someone like me moderation doesn't seem to work. I either go all the way or not at all. 

The way I see it is like this:
According to the World Health Organization, red meat, especially processed meat, are considered group 1 carcinogens (meaning they cause cancer). Tabaco falls under the same category. Smoking a few packs a week very much increases your chance of lung cancer right? What if you cut back and smoke only one pack a week? You cut back, but there is still a chance. What about if you don't smoke at all? Then your chances are close to none. That's the way I feel about this. 

Reason #2
For The Animals

Plain and simply, I don't want to eat animals anymore. I'm pretty horrified with what happens with animal farming, and how they are tormented. I don't want to be part of that suffering, and I would like to contribute as little as possible to any animal pain. 

I don't mean to say no animal will ever be killed by not eating meat, because there are insects and other critters that are also killed to prevent damages to crops. I simply don't want to participate, especially in life-long suffering caused by farming.

I stopped eating meat for the selfish reason of my health, however I continue, and will continue to not eat meat for the selfless reason of compassion. I continue to read and learn more every day, and these are my personal thoughts and what I apply to my life based on what I learn.

What steps do you take for your health? Or what was one thing that really opened your eyes and you applied into your life? (Be it health wise, or other)

4 comments:

  1. I exercise, do yoga, walk, ride my bike, and eat well for my health. For me that means cooking my own food, using fresh, local ingredients, and making delicious, tasty recipes. I was a vegetarian for five years, but it didn't work for me. I gained weight, ate too many desserts, and drank too much coffee. Keeping an open mind, and refraining from judgement has really helped my health and my mood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome 😊 whatever works for us, is best. I really want to do yoga, and more meditation. I need more discipline there. I'm not very flexible, almost not at all, but would like to start that.

      Delete
  2. I try to eat lots of veggies but still need meat proteins as I am allergic to most plant proteins sources like soy, nuts. Everyone has to find what works for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Absolutely! Incorporating lots of fruits an veggies is always the way to go. In my opinion.

      Delete