Tuesday, November 23, 2021

What I've been up to...

Oh, goodness. It's almost the end of the year and I haven't been writing in here as much as I would like to. 

It has been busy, going back to work (I found a different preschool) and making an attempt at a side hustle. I started an etsy shop about a month ago. I've been making printables. I only had like 4 listings when I first opened it, but I have a few more now- so there's that. I'm not really getting sales- so far only 3, but you know what, I find myself enjoying making these printables. It's fun, so I guess it's more of a hobby than a side hustle. 

If anyone is interested: paperismyjam.etsy.com

The school I have been working at now is different than the previous preschool I was at. This one is a Reggio Emilia Inspired preschool- so it is very play-based and there is not much planning involved. At least no planning even more than 1 week in advance. The planning is pretty much done by the kids. Whatever the students are interested, the teacher will encourage their learning on that interest by providing books, or activities to help guide them. They even come up with ideas on what they want to do. 

At the other preschool it is a bit play-based, but mostly we follow a curriculum set for them. Where they learn the alphabet, numbers, etc. They are also a little more strict with the children- or more rules. Whereas the one I am now working at are a little bit more flexible with the children.

When I first started working there I thought I wouldn't be able to do it because (1) I wasn't use to that type of learning and the kids allowed to do much more than I am comfortable with, and (2) I hadn't been in a preschool since march of 2020. I felt a little out of touch. Now I am a little more comfortable, and getting into the groove. The class I was placed with are wild children. They're great, but wild. The teacher I am working with had given me a heads up, that the children are rambunctious. They really are, but they're growing on me and I am looking forward to see how I do in this school, but at the same time I am very very nervous. 

I hope I am up to par with the other teachers at the school. I do feel a little out of place. There are moments when I am thinking I don't want to be there, but that is probably a bit of my social phobia talking. I keep telling myself, trying to convince myself that this is good for me. Which I truly believe- on so many levels. I'll leave that for another post. For now this'll do!


1 comment:

  1. That sounds challenging. I taught for thirty years and really felt that discipline, structure and order made the kids feel safe. Even as a child, I preferred strict teachers and a quiet, orderly classroom. Things have really changed.

    ReplyDelete