Tuesday, July 28, 2020

Why Mornings Are So Important

Image by mohamed Hassan from Pixabay 
I love mornings.

You know that feeling when you get your new pen, or notebook, or new shoes? The way it feels when you first start using it? You can’t stop admiring it and you vow to take care of it and never get that pen chewed up, or that notebook bent, or those new shoes too dirty.

Mornings are like that to me. I especially love cool mornings. They feel crisp, fresh, and best of all they’re quiet.

Each morning is the beginning of a new day, and I don’t want to ruin it. Mornings determine (for me) how the day will be, and if I start off early with something I enjoy then the rest of the day will be delightful.


Do mornings determine how your day will be?

Sure, mornings are great for scheduling your day (or you can do that the night before), but also to focus on yourself and we've all heard how important it is to take care of yourself. If you've been on an airplane before then you've heard the flight attendant's review of what to do if the oxygen masks drop. You secure yours on first before assisting others. We wouldn't be much help to others if we can't breath. 

We must practice some self care before we can care for others. According to F. Diane Barth L.C.S.W. in Psychology Today, we need to be compassionate towards ourselves first of all. Self-care is totally different for each person. One might want to wake up 30 minutes earlier to exercise while others might take those 30 to meditate, journal, grab a coffee, or even sleeping in. Whatever it may be we must not beat ourselves up for doing one and not the other, or for doing only one and not all. 

I firmly believe that mornings are important part of self-care. Doing something in the morning that we enjoy and cares for our physical or mental well-being, will help us care for others or tackle our work better. Perhaps its both. 

Sadly I've neglected my mornings, as things have been so odd for everybody I'm sure, since the Pandemic. Exercising is my morning go to, and coffee.

How does your morning look like?

1 comment: